Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Case for Cruising

I probably shouldn't say this given my chosen profession, but I am not into cruising. I don't hate cruising, I'm just not fanatical about it like many people are (you know you've met them). There was a once a time, however, when I thought I did hate cruising - mostly because of the environmental impacts. Think large ships dumping massive tonnage of waste into the oceans, tourists invading en masse areas that were not previously frequented by people, etc. etc. Then I got invited on a cruise. I did my research before accepting and discovered that the industry has done a lot to clean up its practices since the '70s and 80s. While there may still be room to improve, I do firmly believe that we have a responsibility as consumers to reward businesses who are making an effort. If we don't, then what incentive is there for them to do so?

Environmental impacts aside, cruising just isn't my preferred style of travel. I got my travel chops backpacking across the South Pacific, staying in youth hostels and seeking out-of-the-ordinary experiences. Heck, I've hitch-hiked in every country I've visited, sky-dived over deserts, hiked volcanoes, bungy-jumped in a canyon and shared a jungle treehouse with bats and bugs. Cruising is a little too safe and a lot too comfortable for a traveler with my tastes, even with my older age and considerably shortened vacation time. Right?

Well, not so fast. There is a place for cruising even for the adrenaline junky traveler, especially if you have found yourself all grown up and trying to get the most out of your one-week-a-year vacation. When you think about most of the places that people cruise - the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, Hawaii or even river cruising the classic cities of Europe - how else are you going to see so much with such little time?
In my younger years I always said I didn't want to go to Europe until I could spend months there backpacking around, going from country to country on my EuroRail pass. It just seemed like such a waste to spend twelve hours in a plane and only see one city. It's the same reason I never went to Hawaii. Then river cruising came along. They spend more time in port than their ocean-going cousins which means more time to explore those sites. The same is true for many Hawaiian cruises. Best of all, you get to see multiple cities/islands without having to constantly pack/unpack your luggage and you are guaranteed a locally-inspired, great meal every night!

Even with the shorter Caribbean cruises, you still have plenty of time to get out and explore some while in port. Modern shore excursion options are practically limitless and there's something for everyone. History buffs can take a guided tour, beach bums can usually save money and walk to the nearest plot of sand and adventure seekers can go diving, snorkeling, sailing, horseback riding and the list goes on. All things considered, the prices are pretty reasonable too and at the end of the day you don't have to wait your turn to take a shower in your flip-flops in some communal bathroom.

There are many places I wouldn't cruise to, but there are also many places where cruising just seems to make sense. Next time you are facing budget and time limitations, yet you still want to see and do as much as possible, consider taking a cruise. Even if you swore to yourself you never would. Your travel agent can help you find the perfect boat (it's cliche but true, there is a boat for everyone so don't just go for the cheapest option) whether that's the one for relaxing, luxury, partying, family or adventure. S/he will also help you get the best deal and navigate the first-time cruiser experience. In the end, you just may find yourself surprised by how much fun you had.

No comments:

Post a Comment